Certification Process - Military Success

MSSC banner alternative

All military personnel seeking to use their educational benefits must go through a certification process in order to access those benefits. We are here to help you navigate the waters of certification and get on your path to expanding your career horizons through higher education. Please call or come in to the MSSC and speak with a counselor who can help guide you through the entire process.

Important Information

    • You are responsible for making certification requests each semester to the MSSC at least 10 business days prior to the first day of the requested semester. This allows for your account to be coded and to ensure that your courses are not dropped for non-payment.
    • First Time Students Only: An exception will be made for the first time students attending New/Transfer Orientation after the MSSC Certification Deadline. 
    • Please be as definite as possible when selecting majors and classes. Try to choose classes limited to your degree plan to avoid wasting time and benefits with changes and drops. Changes in schedule slow the certification process considerably and limiting those changes will allow our staff to provide you with your educational benefits faster and more efficiently.
    • Any classes dropped or withdrawn from after the drop date will be your responsibility with regard to a possible debt or restriction for the upcoming semester.
    • Early registration is available to you as a military-affiliated student using any type of benefit.

New Student

The MSSC cannot take documentation for military benefits without a UTEP Student ID. The process does not have to be confusing or stressful when you come to the MSSC for help!

Choose Your Path

Returning Students

Must be registered for your final course schedule in order to proceed.

Choose Your Path


Concurrent Enrollment

A student receiving VA Education Benefits may take courses at more than one school that apply to his or her degree (the school that will grant the degree is the student’s “parent/primary” school--all other schools are "secondary").

Students receiving VA Education Benefits must obtain a Parent Institution Letter from the “primary” school in order to receive VA benefits at the “secondary” school. The Parent Institution Letter gives the receiving school assurance that the class, if completed successfully, will apply to the student’s intended academic program.

VA can pay benefits for courses taken at both the primary or parent school and secondary schools concurrently and will pay for the combined credit, taking overlapping enrollment dates into account. If the student is only enrolled at the secondary school (supplemental enrollment), VA will still pay for the credits taken at the secondary school. However, the student will still need to get a PIL from the parent school.

After you have completed the Parent Institution Letter return it to the Military Student Success Center located in the UTEP Library room 205 or e-mail to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.



Choice Act

Section 702 of the Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014 (“Choice Act”), requires institutions of higher learning to give in-state tuition to those individuals that meet certain criteria. For more information please see http://www.benefits.va.gov/GIBILL/702.asp